- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced
- 3 ripe pears, peeled and sliced
- 1 orange – zest and juice
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- nutmeg, allspice and cinnamon
- Coconut milk (optional)
- Saute onions in butter in large pot till clear
- Add diced squash and saute 10 – 15 minutes more
- Add stock, pears, orange juice, orange zest and simmer until squash is soft – 1/2 hour or more.
- Blend in blender or use stick blender until creamy
- Add spices (and optional coconut milk if desired)
- Serve hot or cold with sprinkle of cinnamon on top
This recipe was originally provided by Natalie Dunlap and published in “Seasoned with Love” – recipes from Maine Foster Grandparents.